A few days ago I was perusing my BYU Alumni magazine. As usual, I checked the "Alumni deaths" section for the years I was at BYU to see if anyone I might have known had died.This time, I came across the name of Mark Lynn Richardson printed there. That was the name of one of the missionaries who taught me the gospel before I joined the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Could that Mark Lynn Richardson listed in the deaths be my Elder Richardson? After hurrying to the computer I quickly found an obituary on a Google search, opened it, and was shocked to see Elder Richardson's smiling face there. It was him. He had passed away on June 30, 2009, at the age of 44 from a heart attack.
I couldn't believe he was gone. I had just thought about him a few days earlier as we had passed the exit to his parent's home on the way back from our trip to San Diego. Worse, I couldn't believe he was gone and I didn't have a chance to go to the funeral and say goodbye to someone who made a difference in my life.
So, Elder Richardson, goodbye. I hope you know how much I love and appreciate you. You made a difference by having a ready smile for me and everyone else you met. You made a difference by being not only cool and sure of yourself, but humble and meek all at the same time. You made a difference by writing me letters of support filled with not only goofy pictures that made me smile but testimony that touched my heart. Even though it meant you had to give up swing dancing at the Star Palace for two years, you made a difference in my life by leaving your home to come half way across the country to share the gospel of Jesus Christ. I will be eternally grateful to you for sharing that which has so richly blessed my life.
No comments:
Post a Comment