This day is something we've planned for the past 19 years. This is a priesthood responsibility, for young men to go and spend two years serving the Lord. As a small child we teach them songs that say "I hope they call me on a mission, when I have grown a foot or two..." We save money for missions, we talk of missions often. But, like many things, no matter how well you've planned and prepared, when you get right down to it, the butterflies set in.
But, butterflies or not, the day came, and we said good-bye to Bradley for two years. And even though I feel 100% completely sure that we will all be blessed by his service; that he will grow and become more of a man than he ever could be otherwise; that this is EXACTLY what he should be doing right now and EXACTLY what I want him to be doing right now---when he turned and walked away I felt as if someone were taking a piece of my heart away. So, there, on the sidewalk outside the MTC, even though it was overflowing with joy for my son's choice to serve a mission, my heart also felt just a little empty...see?

Thanks for being such an awesome example to me. Just wait before you know it that heart will be overflowing! <3
ReplyDeleteHe will make a great missionary, and so you will be very blessed. I hear it gets easier. BIG HUGS
ReplyDeleteBelieve it or not, the time flies. Especially when you look back on it :-) Which is easy to say... when you're looking back on it. At least these days we have the benefit of instant weekly communication through email -- much better than snail mail and the month span between asking questions, and receiving the answer!! And NOTHING can replace the growth that comes through serving a mission. It's sooooo worth it -- but you already know that :-)
ReplyDeleteLove your writing Libby!! I personally did not feel that Kyle's mission flew by ( though other family members did) but there were tremendous blessings for both Kyle and our family. It's a wonderful time and as much as I know I am going to miss Austin when he leaves I am also looking forward to the blessings associated with having a child serving the Lord!
ReplyDelete