I've been looking around for the past few days for ideas and thoughts for my talk, and I thought I'd share a couple of the things I've run across that have been "food for thought".
*Don't just count your blessings. Make your blessings count.
*Yesterday I went to WalMart. As I walked through the parking lot I came across a car with a shopping cart with a 24 pack of Diet Coke parked toward the back bumper, and a lady sitting in the front seat of the car. I said to her "Is this your soda? Do you need some help putting it in your car?" She said yes, and it turns out she had some back issues that made it hard for her to get it in her car. She was very grateful to me for stopping to help. After I put her soda in her car, she said to me "What's your name?" I told her Libby, and she said "Thank you, Libby, for your help." Later that evening as I thought more about that little episode I was touched by the fact that she wanted to personally thank me...not just a generic thank you to a stranger, but a specific thank you to Libby, who had helped her. For some reason that meant a lot to me.
*It is not happy people who are thankful, it is thankful people who are happy.
*One of things I am truly grateful for is the gospel of Jesus Christ. It is such a blessing to my life. This past weekend we had Stake Conference and the youth sang for the Sunday meeting. One of the songs they sang was called "Pilgrim Song", and I think its lyrics are a good representation of how grateful I am for the gospel and the wonderful blessing it is now and eternally. You can read the lyrics below, and if you want to experience it even more than just reading, you can listen to this song done wonderfully by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir here.
My brethren I have found, a land that doth abound with fruit as sweet as honey
The more I eat I find, the more I am inclined to shout and sing, “Hosanna”
Chorus:
My soul doth long to go where I may fully know the glory of my Savior
And as I pass along, I’ll sing the Christian song, I’m going to live forever
Perhaps you think me wild, or simple as a child, I am a child of glory
I am born from above, my soul is filled with love, I love to tell the story
My soul now sits and sings and practices its wings and contemplates the hour when the Messenger shall say come quit this house of clay and with bright angels tower
As I've thought about gratitude over the past few days I've of course thought about all that I am grateful for. Honestly, it has been completely overwhelming. I have been give so much, and am so blessed, and I can't even begin to say how wonderful it all is. So, I guess all that I can do is say
THANK YOU.
I loved this post!
ReplyDelete